Saturday, May 07, 2005

A New Chapter?

Ya, as most of you can see, the title of my blog is no more. I mean, I've changed it. Nervy (for those that know what the heck I'm talking about) is splat on the sidewalk. I guess a combination of distance, time and not so fun experience communicating with technologically inept people (long story) just took it all out of us.. so no more websites for the time being!

Anyways.. Mothers Day is tomorrow and as my family is at the moment trying to purge as many items as possible from our house, no gifts allowed. So, tonight we had dinner at the Lobster Hut, on me. Boy - what a drain on my wallet! Ah well.. my mom was happy, and that's what counts, right?

Recently, I watched an episode of Oprah that had David Bach on it. He's the author of some books on dealing with finances and how to become rich. I went out and bought myself a copy of "Smart Women Finish Rich". It's not so much about me being rich, but more of how I should be investing my finances in order for me not to be in a hole at any time in my life. I guess it's a sign of age.. I'm beginning to concern myself over my finances and how I'm going to be able to retire (HAHAH.. unbelievable that I'm thinking about it, but hey, the earlier you start, the better off you are!) without living in a tent.

I've had the feeling that I'm in such a different spot in my life compared to some other people that are either my age or even older than me. Why on earth am I so concerned about money and health these days? I guess it's not a bad thing, but some people may consider this to be a tad fuddy duddy? I see some people going out on shopping sprees, purchasing new digital cameras and mp3 players, etc.. on "mommy and daddy's money" and I think to myself "shouldn't you feel guilty for spending your parents money like that at this age?" .. Hmm..

All this has led me to think that rich kids don't understand the value of money. As they say, it's a cycle: three generations of rich followed by three generations of poor. Sort of sad eh? I know I'm really really REALLY blessed at the way my parents have provided for us. Not having to worry about student loans is already a really huge burden lifted off my shoulders. I know people who already owe $20,000 and they still have 1 or 2 years left to go... yikes! My goal is probably to be able to achieve what my parents achieved financially.. I'd be pretty satisfied with that. Oo ya.. last thing that ties in with this subject, my mom brought a book back that's called "Rich dad, poor dad" by
Robert Kiyosaki which she made me go out and buy (she has the Chinese version which she thinks is oddly translated) and highly recommends it to everyone. Maybe this book has something to do with rich kids spending habits? (Shall I say, their latte and double latte factors? teeheehee!!)

Anyhow, I believe I've finally come to a conclusion for when I'll be travelling down to Ontario to apartment hunt. It's probably going to be a 10 day trip leaving on June 1st.

Okie Dokie.. early to bed tonight.. got a loooong day ahead of me tomorrow :(

~JY


1 Comments:

At 10:35 p.m., Blogger Keith said...

I've been thinking seriously about assets for about a year or so now. I've got a bunch of Rich Dad books if you'd like to read them if/when you come to Toronto. :)

I was quite surprised your mom read that book. Hardly anybody I know other than me has read it (and/or the sequels)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home