Sunday, May 15, 2005

Merdre la plui!

AIYA it's going to rain all week!! ARGH.. I'm SO SICK OF RAIN!!!! Gees..Hmm.. I guess, on the bright side, I should be thankful that I was blessed with beautiful weather on my convocation day last year at this time!

This weekend flew by quickly, as always. Can't believe is Monday again...... SIGGGGGGGGGHhhhhh
I'm counting the days til my vacation.. teeheehee

Oh.. I am officially a TB-free person! Yay! hahah..as if it were going to be anything otherwise. One less thing for me to do :D

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but I attended a lecture by Vivienne Poy last week (one of the Senators of Canada) who spoke about "Asian Pride in Canada". As it's Asian Heritage month in Canada, she talked about how different cities across Canada celebrate and why we should celebrate asian heritage month. It was interesting, because one of her main points was that it's about inclusion and not about exclusion - which is sort of what happens, especially in small cities! She also talked about the aspect of first generation Canadian born asians - like me! Anyways, I thought that some of the things she said were pretty insightful because I get the "cultural identity crisis" we frequently go through as CBC's (Canadian Born Chinese for those that don't know). It's sort of like what I saw on Oprah: on one of her shows she was saying that in the Black community, people will be prejudice against you if you are lighter toned and it's as if you don't belong to one sole group even though really, you are all alike. It's just like us CBC's. Especially with first generation CBCs, we can identify with Caucasians really easily because those are our friends.. it's a norm to us. Yet, there is also another side of us that is Chinese but those that were raised in Asia also have this idea formed in their minds that we are all "bananas" (yellow on the outside and white on the inside) or "lemons". It really gets to me when I get singled out like that. I hate it, especially because I feel that people are purposely doing it to make me feel bad about myself. But after discovering more of my "Chinese/Malaysian" side, I have learned that I am PROUD to be a CBC. I am PROUD that I've been able to grow up in Canada and also know enough about BOTH my Chinese heritage AND my Canadian one!

Alright. Gotta go teach. Ciao

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home