Thursday, January 13, 2005

Tick.......Tock.......Tick.....Tock

This week is s-l-o-w-l-y crawling by. Actually, I should say that work is slowly crawling by. It hasn't been all that busy lately .. *sigh*. I'm sleepy too. Ah.. torture. I wish I was busy, busy, busy.. I hate idle time.. I really don't know how some people can go to work and twiddle their thumbs all day and be happy with their jobs. I would go mad within a month (or less)! Maybe I just work too fast.. I should find some way to do things at turtle speed.. hmm.. type with my eyes blindfolded? Write with my left hand? hmm..

Anyways, after reading Jeff's entry.. I'm supremely jealous that he gets to watch Phantom of the Opera!! For me, the memories of this musical are also from childhood. I remember it being popular when I was in grade 5 or 6.. so around the age of 10-12 years old. Anyways, I was in the band at that time (playing flute) and one of the songs we learned was the main song from Phantom of the Opera. I'd LOVE to see the movie in theatres..*sigh* ..what a pity I can't :(

Speaking of band, I haven't ever told my band stories. We were awesome! We placed first place amoungst most of the competitions we entered, and keep in mind we were competing against junior high school bands because we were the only elementary school band in the province!! :D We had these wine colored (school colour) bow ties, cumberbuns and suspenders.. we really looked very cool. lol.. actually, they really did make us look good as a concert band. We detested the suspenders and were always torturing each other by pulling and letting go ..ouch!

We (junior band - grade 5 & 6) travelled once a year.. the first year we went to Moncton (oh yeee haw.. but we did place first!) and the second year we went to BOSTON!! Little 12 year olds going to Boston as a band trip..talk about a big thing. I had also went back to Msia for Chinese New Year..heheh lucky little devil I was that year. Anyways, back to Boston. We were entered into the Boston Heritage Festival in which we received a Silver Medel. I remember the adjudicator's tape saying 'cymbols..careful...CYMBOLS.....CAREFUL!!!" lol.. I also remember rehersing in the bus, watching the red soxs and white soxs baseball game (utterly boring for me), going to the aquarium, bickering that went on between some of the girls (whoa.. that was rather nuts) going on some tour and something to do with a Molasses spill.. hmm.. oh ya.. the Montreal Canadians were staying in the same hotel as us so that was sort of cool (even though I didn't follow hockey (still don't)). Ah.. the fond memories..

I think besides playing Phantom of the Opera we played Beauty and the Beast and also Aladdin..Aladdin was really fun because "Friend like Me" has a lot of cool sounds in the percussion.. lots of fun sound effects. We also did some jazz because our band director was really into that kind of music.. (he had (s) his own jazz band). We played so many pieces! Our band director is actually the father of one of my brother's friends... he left our elementary school at the same time we did to go to FHS (high school).. cool eh! I remember seeing him around FHS and he would always be asking me.. "why aren't you in band??" .. hmm.. I had really wished I had gone back..but was just too busy during high school.. (stupid kumon).

Being in the band wasn't only about the trips.. most of the time it was just a real good feeling to be playing music with a group of people..many playing different types of instruments.. I'd love to do it again someday..

Tomorrow is Friday! Yuppi.. (sort of).. it's not really a break this weekend.. MCN and teaching are probably going to leave me exhausted for Monday.

Alright. ciao.

1 Comments:

At 4:49 a.m., Blogger jaryee said...

hardy har har :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home