Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Homefree!!!!

Finally!!! I'M DONE!! :D :D :D Funny how finishing exams can make your mood change completely eh? WELL! What to do first? haha.. I've gotta teach tonight, so too bad.. can't really get into anything. I think I'll do some cardio after teaching and then watch a movie or something.

hmm.. I would really like to get some new books to read. I just finished two books. The first one is The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. It's about a farmer and his life before the Opium War. It's not really about historic events, but more of a portrayal of what life was like back then. It's definitely won't become a favorite read, but the story was interesting. If you are looking for something action-packed, it's definitely not the book you are looking for. If you're interested in culture, then it's a good book. Pearl S. Buck is a caucasian who spent her childhood in China, but there's been debate at how accurate her depictions are because of course, her perspective isn't the "Chinese perspective". Anyways, she won the Pulitzer prize so obviously something is good about her writing.

The second book I read was the Jade Peony by Wayson Choy. The book is set in Vancouver's Chinatown around the time of WW2. It was a three parter, one for each child in the family. I thought the stories were interesting and a very good depiction of a typical chinese/canadian attitude. Comparing it to Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club, it's definitely more accurate and NOT as exaggerated. Amy Tan's novel is suppose to be a really well known novel, but I didn't think it was that great??

Anyhow, there's a sequel to the Jade Peony which I want to read.. but its rather expensive.. :P I'm looking for some good books .. any recommendations?

HAHAH we had our first "storm" of the season. We had a mix of freezing rain and snow last night and school got cancelled *rolls eyes*. The roads aren't even that bad.. what a hoot for those kids. School seems pretty deserted now but it's nice to get some peace and quiet at work, although I'm feeling rather bored. I really should go do those finances thats on my "to do" list.. but frankly, trying to find mysterious paper trails really sucks. Their paperwork is such a huge mess from 2 years ago.. took me ages just to get the stuff organized.. geeshh.. ahhh when will it ever end!!!! haha

Thats all for now.. ciao
JY

2 Comments:

At 7:07 a.m., Blogger Jeff said...

Yeah, but did you pass?? ;)

 
At 5:41 a.m., Blogger jaryee said...

I'll say NO so that I don't jinx myself :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home