Sunday, January 23, 2005

The Apprentice III

I just finished watching the first episode of Apprentice 3. At first, the "high schoolers" got on my nervces with their cocky attitude about how they are street smart and how the university graduates are cocky. hahah.. then the university graduates got on my nerves at THEIR cockiness. Ahh.. all those candidates are so cocky! Anyways, by the end of the episode, I was rooting for the high schoolers. hehehe.. maybe it was because the university graduates were doing stupid, stupid, stupid things.. their marketing was hidious, plus, the producers didn't put in anymore clips of the high schoolers being cocky.

After watching the apprentice, I wonder.. how would I fair on that show? I think I could handle some of the tasks, but really, it's gotta be really challenging. Even after all my experience with organizing banquets (yes, I've got it down to a fine art), I think I would probably doubt my abilities. Gah.. the stress of the tasks and add on the fact that all these high powered executives are watching your every move.. oh ya, and did I forget to mention, the rest of North America? :P

Hmm.. most people probably don't know the side of me to be able to know what I'd be confident or unconfident about. I'm unconfident about a lot of things. There are only a few things that I'm confident about: teaching (even though I still occassionally do experience doubts), and organizing events (and ya, I still sometimes doubt myself here too.) I guess I'm just a doubtful person! Just like this past month, there were times when I was doing that. For example, I had been openly telling the executives of MSS to organize a 50/50 draw during the cultural night. They thought it wasn't worth the effort because there was a lack of manpower. Anyways, I had stated a couple of facts that I knew would occur: 1- people expect a fund raising effort for the Tsunami, 2- the types of fundraising that they have already set aren't going to bring in much money etc. After I had said those things, I was wondering.. what if what I said doesn't turn out to be right? I'll look like such a fool! To make a long story short, turned out I was right. I had even guessed the right monetary amounts (from what we'd bring in for the other fundraising efforts). My 50/50 draw doubled the amount to be donated..yuppi! :D (can't forget to mention that the main focus of the Daily Gleaner's coverage of the event was about our fund raising efforts..). I guess my experience with all these things has been a bumpy one. Everyone's opinion is different and everyone believes that they are right. What can I say.. it's a battle to the end.

Uh ya, so this blog was a bit more open than usual in that I don't think I usually talk about personal stuff like this. It was sort of scary. Have to breathe. Gotta go.

1 Comments:

At 7:24 a.m., Blogger Jeff said...

I find that when you're put in a leadership role, even when you aren't feeling confident, you have to pretend to be confident! I'm very good at pretending to be confident, and hiding self-doubt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home