Monday, February 27, 2006

Practicum Starts This Week

It's been a while since I've last updated. I got news of my placement about 2 weeks ago .. I'm going to be doing my practicum at an Elementary School near my apartment (near the university actually) this term. I'll be teaching a grade 6 class of 20 students. Many of the students at this school are ESL (English as a Second Language) and are from low economic backgrounds. I'm actually pretty excited - it's going to be so different from first term and I'm hoping I'll "click" with it more since this is more towards the age group I'm comfortable working with.

It's sort of hard to believe that March is already around the corner. I have another 2 weeks of classes (not counting this week)!! WOW! (Finally too!). The only thing that sort of stresses me out these days is the thought of where I'll be after June. My lease will be up at the end of June and most likely I will be unemployed.. *sigh*. Things are very up in the air these days. To go back to NB would be a lot of trouble (I dread the thought of finding a way to bring all my stuff back) and probably wouldn't lead to employment as a teacher. Anyways, wish me luck. My ultimate dream would be to be employed somewhere here in Ottawa as an elementary school teacher... that way, I wouldn't have to worry too much about moving and getting used to a new city.. ahh but realistically speaking, that's not going to happen. Realistically, I won't even have a teaching contract. :(

Anyways, I was sick 2 weeks ago. It was sort of a bizarre flu. I thought it was the stomach flu but I didn't vomit or anything, but boy, was it a PAIN. Fever, chills, stomach pain, gastric pain, stiff neck (from sleeping so much)... ugh. I missed almost one week of class too.. felt insanely guilty for that (I'm so type A).

I'm finding that spring is starting to gradually find its way into my head. I'm yearning for the fresh warm air, the beautiful sunshine, the chirping of birds, the sound of flowing water, and FLOWERS! I can hardly wait until it's warm enough not to cringe when you step outside. Won't it be nice to be able to leave the window open all day? ahhhhh...


Lots of people are on their March Breaks these days. Unfortunately for me, no March break for me this year. We have all of two days off because we happened to coincide with the public schools' March break. I'm looking forward to it.. it'll be the week we just finished with classes so at least that work will be completed (although there will probably be a ton of work to do to prepare for teaching).

That's it for now. Ciao! (stay warm.. frigid week ahead).

2 Comments:

At 8:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

We only had two days of March break here. Last weekend and the Monday and Tuesday of last week was all there was (and I was in the office for those two days so they weren't even days off) . It sucked.

I hope you enjoy working this new group of kids.

 
At 2:20 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you can get a job somewhere in Ottawa, first, because you want to, but also because there is a good chance I will be going to an ATLAS Canada physics meeting at Carleton in mid-August (the dates have yet to be specified) and I would like to know someone in the area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home