Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It's the Weekend Again!!

Heheh.. it's Wednesday night and I really do feel like it's Friday! It feels like a week has gone by since Monday too!!

This week's weather was truly BIZARRE. It was pretty warm here last week and then all of a sudden on the weekend, we got this "Flash Freeze" warning which I believe means a rapid drop in temperature since it got really cold really fast. Monday and Tuesday were pretty cold with temperatures in the -30's with the windchill. Today - well, well. Everytime I went out today, the weather was doing something different. Last night, we had freezing rain and I guess that turned to rain sometime early in the morning. Needless to say, when I stepped outside this morning I almost "Pok-kaied" (fall down). There was about 1cm of water over a very thick layer of ice on most sidewalks!!! !@_#)!@# By the time I reached school (and I didn't walk too much!) my pant legs were pretty wet. Heard lots of stories about people having to grab onto anything solid to keep from falling down. BLEH. When I went down to our large group session (gather of all Junior/Intermediate & Intermediate/Senior students for information sessions) at the Ottawa Little Theatre (about 4-5 blocks away from campus - all because there are no facilities at that hour to hold all of us), the temperature had climbed to a pretty mild degree and it had stopped raining. When we left the session an hour and a half later, it was snowing and a little bit of freezing rain and it was COLD! What the!?

I hope to get a jump on assignments this weekend as I don't have anything due this coming week except for readings. Unfortunately, I was going to go to Toronto, but I think I won't be going afterall (sorry Jeff & YB - I really wanted to come!!). I'm sure I'll get to go down another time this term. I also have to attend a workshop on Saturday which I'm not really looking forward to even though I heard it's good (I mean, who LOOKS FORWARD to workshops on a WEEKEND MORNING!?).

Yesterday during our Social studies class, my class intelligently walked into a sensitive topic. We were discussing global education and someone mentioned that our faculty itself isn't really promoting global education since the majority of the professors are all caucasians, people were saying it would be better to have a more multicultural faculty. Then this guy in my class that can be sort of annoying at times went on to say "Well, I think we shouldn't hire people based on what ethnicity they are but based on how qualified they are." OK... at first, there wasn't much to that statement, but upon further analysis of it, I felt that the comment was totally uncalled for. I mean, who even MENTIONED anything about not being qualified for the position? Where did the discussion even go towards how someone's ethnicity is correlated to how well they teach!? I just felt that he was inadvertently bashing minorities. The whole discussion made me terribly uncomfortable, especially since I was the only minority in the class. I also didn't feel like speaking up and saying anything so it made the discussion pretty one sided. I have a feeling this topic isn't going to be mentioned just once this term since they are on the agenda for some of our classes (about ethnic differences and such). *Sigh*.. why am I the only minority once again, I feel so pressured to represent when all I want to do (as a typical Chinese person) is keep quiet in class!!!!!!

Alright, that's all for now! Wish me luck ....

3 Comments:

At 11:21 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy weather. My parents sent pictures of a nice green lawn telling of 14C weather, and the next day I was told it dropped back down to -16C, and today I found out the snow was gone again. Insane.

Anyway, I setup some blog software yesterday so the blog has very little on it, but if you are interested it can be seen here:

http://hep.phys.sfu.ca/~tstewart/blog

 
At 9:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hey, you'd better let me know when you do go to TO.

 
At 11:59 a.m., Blogger Keith said...

Hey, no mention of me? I'm still out here too. :) Let me know if you're coming this-a-way, JY. Maybe I can get Phil to come too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home