Sunday, January 29, 2006

Out With the Old, In With the New

It's been a busy weekend! I can hardly believe that today is Sunday and a new week is glaring at me in the face (yuppi).

I managed to go skating on Friday afternoon after my career fair. Let's start with that..

The university hosted a bunch of school boards from around the country on Friday. Unfortunately (or maybe it's fortunately considering I was no where near ready to start the process of applying for work), the boards were not accepting resumes. I spoke to a couple of the representatives who were really friendly and informative. I semi expected some grouchy people from the school boards because they would be answering the same question over and over again with people bombarding them wanting a job. A couple of the meetings felt better than some of the others (some of them probably just didn't feel like talking so they basically gave you the information and left it at that). One lady in Kingston said that there is a demand for teachers in elementary school with a technology background and given that I'm a minority, it's even better for me. One man from Rainbow Schoolboard (up in Sudbury) talked for quite a while with me. He did mention at one point "I can see you working for us, you have the personality I can tell - I've been doing this for 33 years". I've gotta think more about that one because it's located so far away from Ottawa/TO... but the school board looks really great. I also met with a lady in Calgary who said that they are going through a major hiring boom over there.. over 650 teachers for the last two years, and more to come (they expect to hire the same amount this year). Maybe it would be good to go out West .. more new teachers so the education field should be more of an equal playing field (??). Another thing that was encouraging was that they were saying that there is a demand for teachers with special education which is what I'm going to acquire this summer as an additional qualification.

On ho hum thing about the career fair was that I finally woke up to the fact that I better get my butt in gear and apply for jobs and get ready for interviews. The application deadlines are in February and interviews begin at the end of the February. OMG. Guess I better place an order for an interview help book. *sigh*.. I wish I had time to actually read it!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, after the career fair, I went for my first skate on the canal. Boy.. I'm starting to panic for next week's triathlon. 8km on the rideau.. mmmm.. It's not so much the pain of skating that far.. it's more the fact that if the ice conditions are poor, it's going to be really brutal because you can't go very fast else you'll fall. BOOO. I'm also worried because I am going to start the race for my team.. that whole starting line thing seems intimidating.. plus people are going to be watching!??!?! AHHHHHHHH!!!! I've gotta find some time to get down to the canal and practice a few times this week!

Yesterday was 團年飯 at my friend's house. We cooked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much food. I think one problem was that they went to get groceries on an empty stomach and most of us spent quite a number of hours in the kitchen so by the time we sat down to eat.. we weren't so hungry? (good diet eh?). I think we didn't even finish 1/2 of the food that was cooked :S. They are going back to finish it today (lunch + dinner I assume). It was fun though.. most everyone was in a great mood. I'll post some pictures when I get them. (We look like some sports team because we all wore read shirts).

With all this excitement, I managed to get some work done. I think I worked in spurts this weekend. Instead of sitting here and procrastinating, when I worked, I worked; when I didn't, I didn't. One thing that probably helped is that I prepared some of the assignments due this week last week so I'm not feeling as stressed out about getting stuff done (though I am going nuts in my brain thinking about all the things that are still pending).

Next week Winterlude starts here in Ottawa. I hope to find some time to go enjoy the activities. There seems to be a lot going on: ice sculptures, demonstrations, winter sports, etc.. Anyone want to come and join in the fun? ;)

Alright, I best stop here and get back to my readings. TATA!

1 Comments:

At 6:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents are thinking of moving up to Sudbury maybe sometime. Rather, my mom would love to. Her sister's up there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home