Saturday, July 02, 2005

Happy Birthday Canada!

ah.. a day late, but I was just way too exhausted to post anything yesterday. I slept around 10 hours last night - WOW!!!!

Yesterday was an incredibly packed day. I was up at 9am for fear that I wouldn't have time to get ready in time before the 10am meet. (I had to get all the drinks and such stuff ready). I was there on time, even had some time to grab a coffee & bagal at Tim's! We were suppose to go to someone's house after meeting at UNB because there were a bunch of people who were joining us from there (we didn't all meet at UNB because we were going to depart from the North side and some people lived over on the North side so it'd be easier for them to wait for us over there). We were made even later because I hit every single (I think 99%) of the traffic lights on route - they all turned red when we approached ... GAH!! So by the time we arrived at take off point, we still had to get all the equipment into the truck which took another 15 minutes. Now, we were SUPPOSE to leave at the latest 10:30, and ended up departing at 11:00.. mmmm.. parade started in Canterbuy at noon.. hmmm!!!

It took us an hour to get there (with some very interesting speeding), and arrived just in the nick of time. Heh.. now, this is a small small little 'village' past Nackawick. While walking the parade, I heard some funny/unsettling comments from the children, in particular "LOOK!! CHINESE PEOPLE!!". Hmm.. it's not really unsettling, but I'm not sure what other word to use. It was funny at first, but when you think about it, it's sort of sad that kids of that age group (some of these comments were made by kids who were around 8 -10 years old) are so isolated that they don't see people of other races. Hmm.. on the other hand, it wasn't as if there were being racists! Anyways, people seemed to have enjoyed the parade, so that was good. Afterwards, I think we spent about 30 mins waiting for them to let us leave (they were giving out awards), until I realized we were cutting the time really close. We ended up leaving Canterbury at 2pm, sped most of the way home, and arrived back around 2:40 (HEHEHEH). We shoved some McDonald's down our throats and went to pick up our trailer and off we were to the next parade.

The parade at home was more interesting (in my mind). This year, the theme of eco friendly made it so that there weren't so many commercialized floats - which cut out all of those huge trucks :D! I think there were a LOT of people attending this year.. more than usual actually! The crowd was really enthusiastic with our float.. lots of clapping for us..hehehe! The kids got their attention too and did really well. The weather was perfect, cloudy but not raining (well, it did sort of sprinkle a bit at the end) - so not too hot, not too cold, and not windy! YA! I think we were all getting pretty tired by the time the parade was over, but still had cleanup and a potluck to deal with.

The potluck turned out to be pretty successful. Lots of families in attendance and the kids had fun playing volleyball and "chase the older boys" (well, the girls at least!). The only complaint about it was that the misquitos were vicious!! grr!! I was talking to some of the parents, and they keep telling me that they think the Youth Group is great. They've never seen this kind of interaction in any other organization.. the older kids playing/taking care of the younger kids, and the younger kids look up to the older ones (of course). Sometimes, I sit back and I listen/watch them interact (be it between yg/little kids or yg/yg members). It usually brings up these warm fuzzy feelings because everyone is like family. Especially amoungst yg/yg, no matter if they are boy or girl, they still bicker or talk like siblings! It's also sometimes very amusing! They always crack me up with the subjects they talk about, especially when it comes to relationships!

I attempted to go to the fireworks last night, but nothing happened for 30 minutes!? They were suppose to begin at 10:20, but by 10:40, still nothing. I was too tired to keep waiting, so I left. Guess what - they started to go off just as I was driving home :P BLEH.. I kept driving anyways because I figured that there wouldn't be a miracle that would have made them spectacular. If they were, I don't want to know!!! :P

Anyways, this post has been pretty long and probably pretty boring..hehehe.. I'm going to stop here! Ciao


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home