Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Rite of Passage

Well, it's been another little while huh? I was getting good at frequently posting, but the last little while has been a bit of a bugger. I've been trying to get my assignments and postings completed ASAP as the due dates are all crammed together. I've had oh... 5 assignments due in a span of 3 weeks.. yeah, that's nothing when you compare it to University, but hey, I'm working too you know!!

Anyways, before the craziness came POURING down on me, CE and I decided to try to climb "The Grind" aka Grouse Grind. It takes you up to Grouse Mountain at an incline of 30°. It's described as “Mother Nature’s Stairmaster,” and is a freaking hard one to climb!! We didn't anticipate it to be as tough as it was otherwise mental preparation would have occurred. Anyhow, apparently it is sort of a right of passage for people living in Vancouver... I somehow don't think the majority of the population living here would face this little monster.


I think I'd take a stab at the mountain again.. this time, carrying only water. The other thing I would do differently is not hike it the day after the first snowfall.. bad, bad, BAD decision. The top half of the mountain was all snowy.. it was starting to melt and get compacted into ice because of all the people who were going up. People were still trying to sprint up though which I questioned.. were they dumb or just really brave?! You don't walk on ice like that buddy!! Anyhow, parts of the mountain were quite scary.. I wonder if there have been any deaths from people slipping.. and you can forget turning back.. going DOWN that thing would be harder than climbing up!! (You take a cable car back down the mountain.. the top part of the mountain is Capilano which is a sky hill).

So besides that, my other news is that my position has been extended to mid March. The teacher I'm replacing has extended her maternity leave until then, so I've been asked to stay on. I was hoping to get another 0.5 position (there was a grade 1 position I applied for in Burnaby) but I didn't receive a phone call for an interview, I'm assuming it's gone..

Speaking of Burnaby, I've also finally set up my "TOC" information so I'm now officially "on call". TOC = teacher on call for those that don't know. I had my first "gig" there last Friday.. just a half day with a grade 3/4 split class. Man, they were trying to be brats.. they knew to push it because their teacher wasn't there. HUMPH! Anyways, I feel much more "armed" with management strategies now than I did two years ago. Anyhow, for that job, I was drove about an hour to get there and an hour to get home.. UGH! I can't imagine what life will be like if I get a permanent position in Burnaby.. I'll be very glad to have a permanent job, but to drive that much each day... oh the gas ... the environment and the energy.....:( Taking the sky train a few days a week wouldn't be bad, but I'm sure I'll be lugging lots of stuff to and from school a couple of times a week, so.... I would still have to drive.... OK.. gotta stop counting the chicks before they hatch.

With the holidays just around the corner, it's sometimes a bit difficult to process that we're living in Vancouver. I'm wondering.. where's the snow? Where are the storms? Where is my HOUSE (BOOOOO)?? I have had a few bouts of homesickness in the last few weeks, but I really shouldn't complain. Afterall, my family is around me and that's what matters the most, right?

Gotta go. Assignments awaiting.. UGH. To think that I am considering taking my Masters....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home