Thursday, November 13, 2008

True Sign of Procrastination

When you see me posting frequently, it probably means I'm avoiding work :P Yes indeed, that is what I am doing. I have one more question on my Special Education assignment that is worth 10 marks and I am really too lazy to open up the document and just finish it. Tisk.

I was talking to my colleague in Saint John on Monday afternoon and she was sort of updating me on how my kids from last year were doing. They did me proud! She is working on rounding numbers and apparently, they were telling her about some car. She said, "You remember the car thing you taught them last year?".. me: "Ummm.... nooo? What car thing!?". The kids described it for her... a car driving up and down a hill.. numbers 1-4 are going up the hill and number 5 in the middle and 6-10 going down a hill. Anyhow, it was just a way to help them remember which way to round. I spent about 10-15 minutes on that!! One of my students stayed afterschool one day to teach my colleague the method we used to round larger numbers.. we circled the number we looked at and ... I forget. I guess it really stuck with them. Go figure! After hearing that, I pretty much floated around for the rest of the day :)

Speaking of Math.. I received the results of the district math assessment from last school year. My colleague kindly forwarded the results to me. It was a breakdown of the results from the grade 3's of our school. I am really proud of my kids.. they all did pretty well and their marks were the highest overall (I think the other class "beat" us in maybe 1 or 2 units out of about 10 units) out of all the grade 3's at that school. I am curious to see how they did in comparison to the rest of the district though. I'm doubtful we even compare to some other schools around, but it would be nice to know whether they faired at least average marks or not.

So CE & I are starting to seriously look into purchasing a house. OMG.. I really should add an "F word" in there :P. Freaking ridiculous!! If you want to purchase a new townhouse, you have to spend at LEAST 400K.. I don't think you would even be able to buy a newer one with that amount even (unless you live waaaaaay out). A bungalow... think half a MILLION. HALF A FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS!?!? WHAT!? A MILLION!! Ok.. you get my point. It's INSANE. It got to the point where I was starting to think perhaps I need to accept that we'll live in a condo for the remainder of our lives and never go on vacation... ever. No eating out, no buying clothes, no vacation, no getting sick allowed. It's sick I tell you! Anyhow, we managed to work our budget so it was more manageable and more realistic. I am not feeling as outraged/depressed as I was a few days ago. We can afford a townhouse.. an old townhouse.... but it's a townhouse. Even average sized condos can cost anywhere from 400-500K. Whoever said there was nothing good about a recession?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home