Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Olympics..

I haven't mentioned anything about the Olympics.. and what a milestone Olympics it's been! I guess I've avoided the topic because of all the "controversy" surrounding it.. it's exhausting to think about it.

I got up at 4am to watch the opening ceremonies.. the result of that was feeling jet legged for the rest of the week. Anyhow, it was amazing and I'm astounded and mind boggled at how they must have organized that! I always have some semblance of how much organization is involved in events (or I think I do), but this one - I can't imagine how much planning went into it. To think of just crowd control for the performers is overwhelming! They did a fantastic job and I really think they are not getting enough praise from the media.

I did not get up to watch the closing ceremonies but did see bits and pieces of it through replays and on the net... *cough cough*. I was super excited to see some celebrities that I knew on global television - no, not David Beckham but Lee Hom, Andy Lau, Emil Chau (!!!), Karen Mok, Jacky Chan... and I think that's it (didn't recognize the rest). I was pretty ticked off with CBC for focusing in on the woman in pink who I didn't recognize and cutting out parts that would have been nice to watch. Anyhow, I did manage to find it online later, so I'm happy now.

The games is not meant to be about politics but about coming together for a common reason and to compete in atheletics. At the beginning, I was only a tad irked that the media kept going at it and picking on things such as the Tibetans and human rights issues when this really had nothing to do with the Olympics. I can understand to a degree why they would bring up things like protests and whether they were occuring or not, but why do so many of the commentators need to be so freaking sarcastic!? I read a piece on the closing ceremonies that really made me annoyed. CBC has really tarnished themselves in my mind. Do they really need to include things like "Somewhere, the ghost of Mao Zedong is really, really pissed." or "If you're a fan of digitally enhanced fireworks and lip-syncing nine-year-olds, well, hold on to your hat." WTF. Can you not think of how much effort was put into this Olympics?! They cleaned up the entire city for pete's sake! In the history of the Olympics, what host has ever gone to such lengths!?

I am not saying that China is perfect. By no means. I just believe that there is a time and place for criticism. Yes, there are things that need to be changed. There are things that need to be changed in ALL countries of this world. I believe I heard it from BBC, but they said that one thing Beijing will take away from the Olympics beyond the new construction and being able to open the doors to the world is the learning experiences of some of the areas they need to work on. (It was worded differently, but you get the idea). Perhaps I'm biased when I judge the media as I'm Chinese (but believe me, this is another complicated issue - Chinese Canadian vs. Chinese from China vs. Chinese from Asia excluding China), but really, I'm so sick of how rude people have been in regards to the Olympics. Some of the comments on the CBC forum made me just sick (hence why I've avoided writing about the Olympics altogether!).

Anyhow, I think I'm going to split up my entries today. Easier reading :)

2 Comments:

At 4:36 a.m., Blogger ychian said...

I pity the guys that climbed up n down of the tower. I am like how do they do that?.. super human or wat. Anyhow, I personally think that the opening was much better than closing. They use too much LEDs this time. But its was cool.

Let see how London can beat this :P

 
At 4:57 p.m., Blogger jaryee said...

hahha!! You know, I was thinking the same thing! All the performers must be in good shape.. even the ones in the dove..running back and forth to make the wings flap.

We never did make it to Beijing.. ha! At least I'll make it to Vancouver 2010 ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home