Friday, August 22, 2008

That was .... interesting?

YC - I think you are the only one who reads my blog. So this blog has basically become a public email to you?! HAHA!!

Anyways, in the case that I do have other readers (HELLO!!!!), here goes the follow up to the interview. I arrived at the school and the principal greeted me. She started off by asking me if I had any questions. So I asked her if the english teacher had their own classroom or whether the teacher went to the students? To answer, she took me on a tour of the school - my first thought was that didn't she have another candidate lined up after me? Shouldn't we hurry up?

So that took probably about 30 or so minutes. We finally got back to her office and she semi-interviewed me. A lot of the questions were really odd and actually looked for negative scenarios.. like "tell me about when you saw something illegal or unethical - what did you do?" .. I had a hard time answering questions like that because I have not seen anything like that!? Anyhow, she realized the questions were odd as well so she didn't really bother too much. I think at that point she already wanted to offer me the position anyhow, so she really didn't care too much. At the end of the question period, she asked me if I was interested in the position - I said yes. I suspected that was the job offer, but didn't think it was official as we had not really gone through the entire interview - I still had to do the written component and they needed to check my references.

Anyhow, after the whole thing was finished (2.5 hours later), I left the school with a very bizarre feeling. The principal had talked to me a lot about the things I could do and was really enthusiastic about some of the things I had talked about - Tribes for one. She called me later in the afternoon saying that HR had called my references and gave her the OK and that she was "happy to have me with them"... I was thinking OMG!!!! She had even gone to the Tribes website to read more about it and called the centre to find out about getting a person in to train her staff.......

So here I am, freaking out because she assumed I accepted the job offer when I was still flip flopping all over the place. You are probably wondering why I didn't want the job? Well, it's a 0.18 position which means it's only 1 afternoon and 1 morning per week. The other problem with this position is that it's with a French school district which means that this job is "as good as it's going to get". There is only 1 school in Richmond and 2 in Vancouver... the Vancouver schools have an English teacher split between the two of them and I suspect that that position is probably not full time either. However, I have no other offers on the table and September is quickly approaching. I do want to be back in the classroom and this would provide a great opportunity to learn the language arts curriculum across a number of grades all at once. I would also have a local reference..

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I finally decided that I was going to decline the position. It took me all morning to work up the nerve to call her. I still feel bad as I think I'm letting her down but ultimately, I have to do what's best for me. (Ya, that sounds sooooo self absorbed!). Anyhow, what's done is done. I need to try to be positive though it can be difficult sometimes. I am probably going to end up taking courses this fall so I won't be as bored as I have been in the last month or so (man, is it easy to get LAZY!).

It's a bit tough thinking about school starting up. I think about the changes at Forest hills and I am also missing my group from last year. It will become a much sweeter memory once I get a job!

Ciao for now,
JY

ps./ Enjoy the closing ceremonies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home