Thursday, April 10, 2008

What a week... and it's only Thursday

I've had such a week already. With my kids being extremely chatty and hyperactive, I've had a nasty note from a parent two days in a row. Her first complaint was that we sent a "Letter of Concern" home because of the many excused absences of her son. This being said, she's the mother who allowed him to stay at home because his two brothers were home sick and she thought it wouldn't be fair for him to come to school when they were home. I'm not sure how much was twisted by her son when he told me, but this is the same child who tells me he's not feeling well or he has a "tummy ache" and then goes home and is perfectly fine. This leads me on to her second complaint: the school should not allow students to call home when they are not sick. "As a parent, we feel obligated to come get our child when they call home and say they are sick". UMM.. RIGHT. I'm seriously going to tell your kid that he can't call home when he's telling me he's sick. Are you kidding!? When I phoned her and talked to her about this, she said that if she says no, he begins with the waterworks and the last thing she wants is him crying at school. Ok.. I'm not a parent, but GET A BACKBONE LADY!

The third complaint she had was that I gave him detention. It went on and on about another student and how that student is not disciplined (whether she is talking about at school or at home, I do not know). I didn't really respond to her complaints that day and only wrote that I had talked to her child about the repercussions of getting a "sad face" (sad, yes I know.. HAHA) and he will have detention now that hockey season is over. Her response to this was that she wants to know whether other children receive the same repercussions and that she wants to make sure that her son is being treated fairly and courteously. COURTEOUSLY!? He doesn't treat ME courteously! ARGH!! Each kid has an INDIVIDUALIZED plan because some kids respond well to one thing but not another. Her son does not respond to being sent to the office and the only thing that has worked for me so far is keeping him in to do work.

This is extremely frustrating because all of his behaviour stems from how he is at home. He's a smart boy and has a lot of potential but chooses not to do his work or to behave in class. Anyhow, she calmed down when I called and had many explanations to things that were both relevant and irrelevant to what she wrote. I get she's frustrated, but hey, I don't need to start my day off with a nasty note from a parent! Thank you very much.

The other major thing that's been going on is that I had to call child services. Scary. I didn't anticipate having to do it, but I had two incidents that made us suspect abuse. In all actuality, I feel that it's just a lack of understanding/education on the parents part - not knowing that some things are extremely old school and considered to be a no-no in today's society and that children are NOT like adults and need to be handled a little more gently. I shall not say more for I am paranoid of getting into trouble. It seems like teachers need to be sooooooooo careful about everything we do... it's like walking on bubble wrap and the goal is to not make a sound...

Hopefully today the kids will listen and behave.. I have my 2nd evaluation today (although she did say she didn't need to come in. It's only 15 minutes so I'm not too worried yet). The more important reason for me wanting them to behave is that I have a HEADACHE!

CIAO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home