Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Breaks my heart...

I've been marking my class' journals. Each Monday, I ask them to write about their weekends. I really should be checking them more often .. it gives me a sense of what they are experiencing at home..

Some of the entries that are on the verge of making me cry:

"This weekend, I went to my Aunt Karen's to babysit my 2 cousins, Madison and Julia. Madison is 2 and Julia is 10 months old. The reason that I went over is because my Aunt Karen was going crazy because of my god father, Anthony. So, she went out to the bar to get drunk. Then, on Saturday, I went home and Anthony was mad because he thought that me and my mom were going to babysit the kids again, so he was mad."

This is the same child whose mother decided that on her birthday, she wanted to not have her son around.. I mean, I can somewhat understand wanting to celebrate adult style, but .. her son obviously knows she wants a "break" from him. He's also the one who was supposedly ADHD since Kindergarten, and recently discovered that he's Asperger's. He also had a miserable Christmas holiday as his step siblings all got this video game or something and he was the ONLY one that didn't get one. His stepsister spent the remainder of the holidays taunting him about it. :(

Another entry: "On my weekend, I played Poker with my brother and my dad and my dad's girlfriend."

Short and simple but oh so disturbing. A third grader playing POKER!?!?!? WHAT!? He's a bright child.. very quick in Math, but very weak in reading and writing. He's got the sweetest little face, but he's had a lot of problems in school. He has had his moments throughout this year, but I've heard he's improved a great deal since last year. He told me that his MOTHER told him that his 19 year old brother went to a strip club for his birthday and that his older brother is not going to finish school. *Sigh*.

Some entries make me laugh, but these ones, are just plain sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home