Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Great Things for the Classroom - Part I of Many..?

The other day I was thinking: what are some good gifts for teachers? I started to think of the numerous shopping trips and thought I'd compile a list. No, I'm not hinting for you to go out and buy me lots of "gifts" (yeaaaa.. things for WORK!!!!), but perhaps someday, when you have kids, it'll come in useful (if you want to be a helpful parent)!

1. Baskets - all sorts of sizes. Dollar store is great (BUT, when you have to buy tons and tons of things to stock your class, I'd rather a penny store).
2. Dice - MATH GAMES
3. Playing cards - MATH GAMES again!
4. Zip lock bags - come in handy in all sorts of ways
5. Stationary of all types - pens, pencils (OMG, pencils.. EXTREMELY useful), paper, etc...
6. Large bowls
5. Empty plastic containers/baby food jars - for arts and crafts, experiments

It's really very sad how much I've spent on my classroom this year. $1000.00 would be a good estimate. I'm not kidding. Between purchasing materials such as school supplies to books for the class library, I've spent way too much of my own money. It's heart breaking. As some of my fellow teachers have pointed out: what profession needs to buy their own tools? I'm sure there are, but when we are government workers.. that's RIDICULOUS! Even for experiments, I end up spending my own money. For example, today, we did this health experiment where I had to use about 1 dozen eggs to prove to the students that coke, vinegar, coffee and tea are bad for your teeth (think egg represents teeth). SO, I had to spend money buying the eggs, clear plastic cups, vinegar, coke, coffee, and tea. Not to mention the time it takes to run around getting all that stuff + the time it takes to boil the eggs.

The tiny stuff doesn't really bother me, but after having to spend THIS much money, on things that really SHOULD be provided, I find it disheartening. PLUS, when the kids don't respect your materials.. it just makes me downright mad. I don't know how many times I've ranted about them just throwing my things back on the shelves or not taking care of things around the classroom because "it costs more than a happy meal at MacDonalds" or "I'm working on this when you guys are at home playing video games or watching tv!"... not that they probably understand what I'm saying. But hey, it seems to be working, I've seen improvement - they don't dare just throw my board games on the shelves anymore (last week I took all of the games away during an indoor recess and they were NOT pleased - it worked though, because they've been neat as a pin ever since.

Anyways, today was cute. We had our Christmas concert. My class chose to sing two songs: Walking in a Winter Wonderland and Rudolph. We had to learn Winter Wonderland from scratch so they weren't super comfortable with the song although they knew the words. Anyways, to keep it short, they sang Winter Wonderland very softly and Rudolph in quite excited voices. Lots of chuckles from the audience. Anyways, I'm glad it's over!!!!!

Ciao!

4 Comments:

At 8:20 a.m., Blogger Jordan said...

$1000.00 would be a good estimate.
You should probably stop buying fine china for #6. Just a heads up. ;-)

 
At 2:57 p.m., Blogger jaryee said...

Sad thing is, I haven't bought any bowls .. *sigh*. You'd be amazed how expensive things like overhead markers/transparencies and dry erase markers are (things that the school should be providing?!?!?!). :( :(

 
At 12:36 a.m., Blogger slaw said...

Hey you! Happy holidays! :) I might be flying back to freddy again mid January... for my visa. See if you'll be in town.

 
At 2:18 p.m., Blogger jaryee said...

You back again?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home