Friday, August 31, 2007

A Quick Update

School starts in 3 days. OMG. It feels like time has FLOWN by super quickly.

I started work last Monday. We began with two days of PD with a workshop I've already taken last year. It's a program called Tribes which is a pretty big deal in Ontario and is quickly spreading across the country (it actually originated in Hawaii and I'm hearing is being used in schools all over the US). Anyways, this time around, I found it much more powerful - perhaps it was the staff, perhaps it was the fact that I can actually see a need to apply it now that I have a JOB!!

Anyways, the staff at the school are wonderful. There are at least 25+ new teachers
(out of a staff of 60 or so) and most of the previous "seasoned" teachers have been shifted around so everyone is in a new grade and/or new classroom. Nobody knows where anybody is! It's all very exciting though. On top of that, there are also a couple of student teachers in the building, so it makes for a LOT of new faces. I can't tell you how glad I felt when I found out I wasn't the only newbie and when I received such a warm welcome. Lots of teachers dropped by my classroom offering help, materials or just someone to lean on. Of course, this being my first week and all, I'm just hoping that this friendly and welcoming atmosphere will only improve with time.

It's SO bizarre to have a job. Well, not that I didn't
have a job before, but a teaching position. I guess because I was rejected so many times, I'm having a bit of a time processing that I've actually been HIRED! Apparently, there were about 70 applicants, from all over Canada that applied for the position I landed.. wow..! I think I'm just insanely lucky.. it's like winning the lottery. I keep reminding myself. Oh ya, back to what I was saying, it's weird having my OWN classroom, my OWN students, my OWN mailbox, my OWN photocopy code.. and being able to say "yes, I'm a TEACHER" without feeling like a wannabe. HEHE!

I've got plenty to say, but no time to say it. I'm moving tomorrow and have not packed at all. Ha! My time has been consumed with driving, classroom setup, lesson planning, material creation and purchasing (trying to set up your own classroom library really is hard work - painful too, because teachers buy their own books for their classes :S). I'm really about to go broke with everything that I need to buy. I've really tried not to spend on things I don't need - but it's hard - especially when you see classrooms around you that are beautifully setup and organized. You don't want your students to feel like they landed in the dump of a classroom. SO, if anyone out there has any old board games and books (esp. picture books) that they don't want.. you know who to call!

Alright. I must get to bed. I'm tired.. my brain and body are not agreeing with one another these days.. my brain is always saying "yo, get up, you have too many things to do to be sleeping!!" and my body says "!@#)(!*23 you brain!!"

Night!
JY

ps./ The pictures of my classroom *before*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home