Monday, January 14, 2008

What a Crazy Thing To Do!


Near Wellsford


Beyond the fog = ??

I awoke today thinking... just in case, I'd better listen to the radio. Anticipating a snow storm and with the terrible accident that happened in Bathurst this weekend (many teachers heads are spinning over that tragedy), I thought there was a chance that district 8 would cancel school. All I heard was district 6 warning parents that listen to the radio in case they cancelled school in the middle of the day.

I never anticipated it would happen to us.

No big deal, right? WRONG. It was like a zoo (again). With over 800 students in the school, we (mostly elementary teachers) were scampering to make sure the kids 1- were able to get home and 2- someone was at home waiting for them. How does the district expect us to call parents when we have the students with us!? Plus, how many phones do they expect a school to have!? Anyways, I luckily only had to call a few parents and my colleague across the hall was able to provide some relief for me to actually leave the class. All I can say is poor supply teachers and poor teacher who started last week. Talk about panic.. we had to do this all within the hour. From the sound of our VP over the intercom, the office was a very busy and frustrating place to be.

I started a new math program and the amount of preparation that is going into it is kind of a lot of work. I was very happy to have the half day to plan, but I am no where near finished :( I don't think teachers can ever get ahead, we're lucky if we're not surviving day-day! (I also never realized what it meant to "hate marking". Try reading things that make absolutely no sense or when printing is soooo terrible that you can't make out the letters)... it's tedious.

Anyway, I've posting some pictures I shot while driving back to Fredericton on Saturday - what a foggy day! There were some places that really looked much cooler, but I didn't pull my camera out until I had drove past. AND since I haven't posted people pictures in a long while, here's my new haircut :)




2 Comments:

At 10:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand this hating of marking. Right now I'm lucky as I only have 8 people doing my lab but when I had a bigger class it was awful. People just can't write and make their work presentable. It was so horrible to mark the assignments. And these people are 19 or 20, not children! Grrrr
And I like your new haircut, it is a good length for you.

 
At 3:53 a.m., Blogger jaryee said...

Oh yes.. marking really sucks. I hate it with a passion.

Merci beaucoup :) I think it's already grown out.

How are things going for you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home