Saturday, March 29, 2008

Finally.. a relaxing weekend.. sort of

It's been a crazy couple of weeks. Report cards went out on the 17th and we just finished parent-teacher interviews yesterday. March was an insane month.. I did not teach one full week at all this month! I had a parent ask me yesterday whether everything is ok because she thought that perhaps I was sick or something with all the different supply teachers my class has had this month.

It has not been good for the kids and I've been experiencing teacher-guilt for being away so much. It did however provide many opportunities for me to collaborate with colleagues, to visit another school to observe another teacher teach (and to realize that there ARE students out there who DO listen and pay attention! It was crazzzzzzzzzy to sit there and hear the teacher count down from 5 and see all eyes on her and nobody chatting.. I was in awe.....), and to get some much needed work done.

Parent teacher conferences went extremely well this time and I'm soooooooo happy. Many of the parents were very supportive and were actually quite pleased with the kids' results this term. Most of them showed improvement in all areas.

The other piece of good news is that I finally got word on a classroom composition grant that I applied for in November. I now have a teacher who will work with my class each Wednesday from now until the end of the year. She works with another teacher the other 4 days of the week. I can use her however I would like - have her take over the class for the day, have her work with small groups, or have the both of us co-teach. I'm still not quite sure what I'd like to do yet because I really have to be able to really trust her in order to leave my kids with her one day a week from now until the end of June. Our philosophies (such as classroom discipline and expectations, how we see learning and teaching, etc..) also have to very similar else things will be difficult.

Anyhow, the last month has left me drained of energy. I'm truly exhausted from all the late nights (this past week, there was not one day that I got home before 8pm or later.. 12+ hr working days...).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home