Friday, March 07, 2008

Procrastinating...yet again...

As you know, I've been marking their writing for the last few days.. actually, EVERYDAY this week (ARGH!). I've still got two pieces of writing to mark.. may not mark the last one, but I have to mark their writing assessments. Brutal. So I thought I'd post a blog entry :P

I forgot to mention that I was out on a collaborative planning day last week. It was originally to plan some global education lessons that could be implemented at the grade 3-5 level. Sometimes, things just happen and everything falls into place. Saying that, I received an email from a teacher-friend who is now serving in the Canadian forces in Afghanistan. I had originally told him that I'd get my students to write him and his soldier colleagues some letters. He wrote me saying that instead of writing letters, could we send some supplies for the children? He told me that he saw so many children who were living in poverty, not having so many basic items such as shoes, soap, underwear, etc..

SO, I brought this up during my collaborative time and we set forth to quickly plan a supply drive. I did up a package of lesson plans, guiding questions, book list and even found a video that could be shown to the children at our school about the children in Afghanistan. (Found on Youtube: Part I Part II)

This all comes in nicely with the theme that was set forth by our citizenship facilitator, Cory Richardson. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that he is working on a project called "Stitch Uganda Together". (If anyone is interested in finding out more or making a donation, let me know and I'll send you more information). I'm not sure I talked about exactly what he is doing, but he is trying to raise money to purchase sewing machines for a group of Orphans in Uganda (they live on a farm called Opak farms) where they will be making hammocks and selling them in order to become self-sustainable. He's been working with our grade 5-8 students and they have been creating a ton of wonderful things - decorating their own t-shirts, making "wind chimes", hammocks, etc. I'm not really aware of all the mini projects he's doing because my kids are not involved, but I have seen some of the things they've created up and around the school. He made this "wind chime" out of a piece of driftwood and hunt an old fork and a couple of "crystals" on it and hung it from the ceiling over the stairs in the grade 3-5 wing. Something so simple, yet it "beautified" the school. The kids were actually learning over the banister because they really wanted to play with it (it got taken down for fear that we'd have a kid fall over the banister and down the stairs but it will be hung up again in a safer location). Anyhow, there will be a link to all this (Afghanistan and Uganda projects) from our school website someday in the near future.

I probably also forgot to mention that I revamped the school website over the holidays. Lots of positive feedback. I'm also very encouraged because people seem to be actually looking at it and wanting to use it to pass on information to students and the community.

Alright. I really should get back to marking. Enough procrastinating. Ciao.

2 Comments:

At 12:15 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You revamped the school website yourself? Clap* Clap* great job..You should probably add in RSS feed as well.. hehe.. k, i know tats a bit geeky..

 
At 6:44 p.m., Blogger jaryee said...

maaaaannn.. some staff at our school are already emailing me to add stuff.. can't!! Already got about 12 blogs running!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home