Tuesday, August 26, 2008

September is a half step away...

Well, September is next week. I can't believe it for two reasons:
1. It feels like I left Saint John and school only a few weeks ago
2. I am jobless :(

My colleagues at Forest Hills have gone back to work. I am feeling a mixture of emotions. A few weeks ago I began to really feel down on the fact that school is starting up and I don't have a classroom. Now, I feel a little left out... like a distant memory. I'm thinking from the prospective of myself and my students..when I was in elementary school, my teachers from the previous year were always there when I returned to school in the fall, so I'm not really sure how my students will feel next week when they return and I'm not there. No where near being close by. I have had dreams about them in the last little while.

The flip side to all of this is teaching in BC. I have no idea what it will be like. For some reason, I have it in my head that it will be very different. Teaching won't be the same... how? I'm not sure. Perhaps it's not having a group of teachers I can fall back on when I have problems. Can't really explain how important it was for me this past year to have fellow teachers I could go to for advice and to just vent! Anyhow, I'm sure all of this is just my mind playing games with me and making things worse than they are so that I'll be so psyched out that when I actually start supply teaching, I will be super freaked out.

Speaking of supply teaching, I'm also dreading the unknown. Receiving a phone call to go into an unknown school of an unknown teacher to sub for a group of unknown students. To not know the physical layout of the building, the structure of the classroom and the school and probably not even know how to GET to the school! I'm naturally quiet when I don't know anyone so for me, going into such a situation really really sucks. I really hope I don't have to do it for a long time. (Actually, I'd prefer to not have to supply teach at all! Perhaps just walk into a job .. that would be great!)

In the meantime, I'm planning on taking some online courses to tie up my time. I'm probably going to take one course from the University of Western Ontario as I already paid for my Ontario college of teachers dues this year (you have to pay your membership in order to take any teacher courses in Ontario.. it's so stupid!) and maybe another one at UBC (this one depends on whether I get fully licensed in Alberta.. because BC can't make up their own minds! If Alberta does not require that I take English courses, BC won't require it either. That means, I don't need to go to UBC's online course department!!). Anyhow.. part of me is looking forward to taking courses because it means I'll actually have something to do. The other part of me just thinks it's pathetic because I should be working right now rather than reverting back to this student lifestyle. UGH.

Alright. That's it for now. Ciao (YC :P)

1 Comments:

At 4:25 a.m., Blogger ychian said...

Wow.. so many blog post since i last checked :P. Lots to read. Looks like u're back to square one. Jobless. Well, at least ur taking some courses to keep urself productive. Better than slacking around house. Keep looking. Im sure what u're looking for will come. Be patient.

p/s:Write more, I'll be back :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home