Tuesday, April 03, 2007

New Experiences

In the past few weeks, I've experienced a couple of new things:

Experience 1: Judge
When I subbed at Forest Hill Elementary earlier in the year, I noticed a STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) Expo poster. When I looked closer, I noticed that Grant Williams, my high school physics teacher (his wife happened to also teach me physics the year before I had Mr. Williams) and neighbor was organizing. I decided that I would email him to find out if he needed any volunteers. A few days later, his response was "would you like to judge? No experience necessary!" I was like.. uhhh.. alright........ SO, I, JY Tan, ended up being a middle-high school judge!! HAHA!! It was a bizarre experience. I walked in, and immediately, noticed, that many of the judges knew each other - awkward for me, nice for them. THEN, I noticed a couple of old high school teachers, Percy Bamford for one.. ok.. he taught me grade 10 science.. super bizarre... Anyhow, it wasn't that hard a job, but it was a bit challenging as I had to come up with questions for the candidates.. I'm not really sure how well I did in judging them, but oh well, I gave it my best shot :)

Experience 2: FSL
For those that don't know what FSL stands for, it means French as a Second Language. I, JY Tan, taught a FSL class for a whole freaking day last week! OMG. I haven't used my french in over 7 years.. needless to say, I think I slaughtered it (with the way people use words these days, slaughtered as in murdered, killed, bad, bad bad!!). Anyhow, it was interesting and I think if I had to keep teaching French, my French would improve. The kids didn't bat an eyelash at me so it was good in that way. By the time the afternoon came, I found it much easier although I still had to struggle in retrieving some vocabulary. One funny story taht came out of it was when we were doing a brainstorm and one student said "une coccinelle" - I was thinking "OMG.. what's that!? How on earth do I spell that? Masculin? Feminin? Ahhh!!! HELP!!" Anyhow, I later found out I spelled it entirely wrong and that it's a lady bug.. DUH Miss Tan!!

Anyhow, I'm tired.. last week was a rough week.. more about it later. I've gotta go take a nap.. I've got large black bags under my eyes...Toddles.

2 Comments:

At 8:51 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi JY Tan. So in the end who won the expo?

 
At 7:33 p.m., Blogger jaryee said...

hahaha.. I just saw the results on their site a few days ago. Actually, there's only 1 guy in the programming section who won - he made a VB program that tested basic math skills - not really that impressive, but oh well. Another entry I judged was a environmental science project which took home 2nd place I think!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home