Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Post #2

Oh yes.. amoungst all my ranting and raving (see below), I forgot to talk about Canada Day. Before I go any further, I must tell you that I have lost the cover that allows me to press the comma key..so therefore out of laziness, I shall be skipping all commas in this post (pray that I can find it it's utterly annoying not to have it). *I decided to go back and put in commas because I thought it would be easier to read*

Canada Day turned out to be really hot (as it has been the last few weeks here in Ottawa) and sunny. Headed downtown with my friends at around 9:30am and went straight to Parliament Hill. It was already pretty busy. I can't say there were a ton of interesting things to see (quite similar to Fton but bigger) there was the Musical ride, the changing of guards, and of course, the really exciting part (no, I am not being sarcastic) the arrival of the governor general in a horse drawn carriage. I think that was the highlight of the whole day downtown (the governor general's arrival). I was also pretty excited to see THAT many people out.. and many of them were extremely patriotic.. wearing red and white, flag in hand, maple leaf hats etc. We left the downtown area around 1pm (it was getting really hot and really really really crowded) and went to have dim sum in China town.. At that point, I removed my maple leaf sticker (I bought 5 for $1 as I hadn't worn any red or white and felt very guilty about not being at least a little bit patriotic) and found that I have now got a sun-tan-tatoo!! EEKKKK... needless to say, I was slightly burnt that day. It was stupid not to wear suntan lotion.. I guess I assumed I'd be ok since I normally do not burn that easily.. Hmm.. I guess there is no more of that assumption.. the sun is just too strong nowadays :(

That evening, we went downtown for the fireworks. AHHH.. again.. insane amount of people.. lots of DRUNK people (as you might have heard, some of these drunks urinated over the war memorial downtown). We couldn't find a parking space so we ended up getting out of the car and my friend who drove us, ended up circling around (he had already seen the fireworks so he was OK with that - really nice of him huh!). As I predicted, the fireworks ended as soon as we got to a reasonably good location to view them. Drat it. Oh well, I saw some new ones this year. A smiley face (cool!) and a very wobbly looking heart. I just hope I will eventually be able to attend the international fireworks competition.. I hear that those are REALLY IMPRESSIVE!

While we were downtown on Canada Day, a couple of musicians from the symphony were playing. It reminded me that I have not attended a classical concert for a loooooooooong time now. I really want to go listen to some live classical music!! It's funny, I really miss it now! Anyone want to go?

Thats it for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home