Friday, March 31, 2006

Relay for Life

Tonight, I participated in my very first Relay for Life. For those who have never heard of it, it is put on by the Cancer Society and is a 12 hour marathon (walking). Participants try to get pledges from family and friends and the money goes towards Cancer Research and Awareness. It's a great cause, especially since Cancer has had such a massive impact on the lives of so many people.

Before the opening ceremony, I didn't really anticipate anything very heavy. Everyone was gathered outside (this relay for life was hosted and held at the University) to hear speeches. The traditional thank you's to the volunteers went out and then we had a cancer survivor speak. She talked about her experience with cancer and how it affected her life and how it changed her as a person (both inside and out). Then she said, "2 weeks ago, I received word that my cancer is back." - that was a pretty strong message. I started to feel myself tearing up when they took the first lap (the survivor lap).. it was so sad and yet so very touching to see those who had beaten the disease take those steps with so many people around them, especially since most of them were strangers. It was a wonderful feeling to be there, to know that we are trying to make a difference.

Anyways, I'm really proud of myself.. I've gotten $120 in pledges.. more than I anticipate.. much more than I anticipated. Thank you so much to those that supported the cause (though I don't think any of them read my blog!!). For those that are interested in making a pledge (you have until April 7th for the relay I participated in), let me know and I will send an email to you. Otherwise, visit:
Canadian Cancer Society


Let's Make Cancer History!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home