Saturday, November 19, 2005

I Vote for a 3 Day Weekend!

Oh man.. Saturday night already. One more day of the weekend :( I still haven't finished the stuff I need done for this coming week and my brain is too tired to think.

Anyways, I went to see Harry Potter the Goblet of Fire last night.. first time I've been to an opening night movie.. erk. We were in line for 2 hours!! It was sort of mind boggling how many people were in line waiting to see this movie.

I am a big Harry Potter fan.. I've ready all the books (ok, except the last one that was released - it's sitting on my night stand awaiting me to begin.. I held off because I knew that if I started, I wouldn't be able to stop and no work would get done). I was a bit disappointed in this movie. It missed out on a lot of aspects that the book described and I felt it didn't do justice to characters other than Harry. Plus, what's with the scene during the ball when they start dancing to rock music!? It totally ruined the mood!! ARGH!! If you've read the book, chances are you won't be very impressed with the movie. BUT, it doesn't mean I won't be going to see the next Harry Potter movie!! (ya, crazy!)

It snowed for most of the day on Thursday and so it started to feel like Christmas was here. I am starting to think of all the things I need to do to prepare - write cards, get some gifts, etc. Sorry to those that I usually send calendars to every Christmas - no money this year!! Wait til I'm employed :P

I went to a craft fair this afternoon called 10,000 Villages Fair Trade. This organization buys and then sells crafts from artisans around the world to help them earn their livlihood. I didn't expect to see such interesting things - some of the stuff there was really gorgeous. The prices weren't too bad either! All the workers at the fair were volunteers and I found out that there are stores across North America called Ten Thousand Villages that are also run by volunteers. Maybe I'll volunteer there when I have some free time (whenever that happens!). Back to my story. There were lots of interesting things: woodwork, stone paintings (gorgeous glossy black stones that had brilliant red goldfish painting on them done in Vietnam), stone carvings, tableware, scarves, table clothes, jewellery, ornaments (I got this cool thing that you hang off the door - folded paper stars the are stringed vertically and then again horizontally - which are suppose to keep away bad thoughts because they ask anyone that enters the room to leave their negativity at the door. It came from India.. cool eh?), instruments (a whole wack of different kinds, had lots of fun trying them out and wished I had lots of money to buy one of each :( ), assortment of coffee from Columbia, etc.. Ah.. if you ever have the opportunity to visit one of these fairs or stores, GO!!

So.. on Friday, my mentor teacher was away and we had a substitute teacher come in. I basically ran all the classes since we only had grade 8's that day (we had grade 7's but that was during an assembly about Bullying with some Toronto Raptor's Basketball trickster named Q something - he was really talented). The students were working on a tutorial with iMovie since they will be making a movie during my unit. It was a bit hard to get their attention after they started to work - I hope it was just because they were too excited and engrossed in their work. I hope to be able to be more at ease with them later.. but it's going to be stressful this coming week with 4 different teachers observing me teach plus the fact that it's going to be my first few days with these kids!!

One thing that I am finding as I start getting into this is that it's extremely weird and difficult trying to be a student teacher coming into a classroom after the rules and society of the classes have already been established. The other big factor is that it's not YOUR class, it's someone elses and you have to be cautious about stepping on other people's toes. It makes me feel very odd sometimes because I don't really know where I fit in and don't know what my role really is (well, I guess that's not as true anymore). Oh well, I just have to deal with it for a few more months.

Going to try to hit the sack earlier tonight. Hopefully it'll help with my energy level during the week (I hear that you shouldn't sleep in on weekends but keep your regular sleep schedule so your body isn't so messed up).

Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home