Wednesday, March 02, 2005

My Nose is a Clogged Tap

I'm still getting over my flu-cold.. whatever it is. I think it was the flu. Two other people in my office were down sick yesterday.. gah.. we are all dropping like flies! Luckily, recovery time seems to be quick.

I heard that this flu started out in BC and is spreading across Canada.. isn't that just jolly? Oh and of course, it's a new virus, so it wasn't included in our flu shots.

These nights, I spend time removing and replacing my blankets. I first start out cold, then start sweating..and the cycle continues all night.. ugh! In addition to that, my nose is constantly asking to be blown. I have to de-clog the taps every few hours or I'll not be able to breathe..sounds like fun eh? (and probably sounds sort of disgusting too..hehe)

My parents are leaving for Malaysia next week. Sigh.. wish I were going with them.. would really love to see my relatives. They are taking sidetrips to China (not 100% sure where in China yet) and going to Sabah as well to visit my uncle. Of course, this means they are landing in KL (Kuala Lumpur) . Additionally, they plan to travel to Singapore and Muar in JB (Johor Bahru). PLUS, they're going to stop over in Vancouver on the way back.. they are going to be EXHAUSTED by the time they get back.

I remember our previous trip.. the schedule was pretty much the same as what my parent's upcoming trip was like. Our first stop over was in Vancouver for my dad's university reunion. That turned into an important part of the trip.. *sigh*.. lots of things change quickly. Anyways, I met up with some of my friends and we had a great time catching up and having our first experience with bubble tea. We also had that Nan Tah reunion which was HUGE. A 12 course meal, fully loaded: lobster, fish, duck, etc.. OMG .. ) . They hold these reunions all over the world.. and my dad was so happy to see all his old friends. We ended up at a table with some person that he didn't think he knew.. after talking for a bit, they realized that they had shared a house back in University.. good grief.

After Vancouver, we flew to Korea (doesn't it sound so flashy, it's like saying: I jetted off for a lunch in Paris, followed by Dinner in Hong Kong..hahah). Korea was another experience.. we nearly got onto a flight BACK to Chicago until this flight attendent came running after us .. man.. if I ended up back in Chicago after flying 13 hrs.... !! Korea's system (I can't remember which airport, and which part of Korea) was really poor. They had no English translations.. rolled out these carts at the departure gates and held up signs. I guessed we didn't understand their English either.

We arrived in Singapore in the evening, and the following morning, my uncle and aunt drove us to the border where we met up with my cousins who drove us to Muar, my dad's hometown. I think we spent a couple of days there.. and then ended up getting a drive from my aunt's nephew to KL. I think we were in KL for only 2 days and then packed up and went on a 4 day tour to Hong Kong and Shen Zhen with my grandma and cousin. It was insanely hot and humid there..40 degree celcius.. and we were there walking around under the hot sun during peak temperatures. AH! My brother, cousin and I had a hugely fun time shopping at night. The sales had started to come out, and Canadian bucks transfer very nicely in RMB (Ren Min Bi).

After that little tour, it was back to KL where we were lost in the airport. Well, sort of. My uncle forgot where he had parked the car. Mind you, this had happened when we went to pick up my cousin from the airport after she came back from Australia to see us (aww!!). I remember my grandma had sour prunes because we have some pictures of this occurance, and she's making all these funny faces because she's busy eating away. By the time we arrived back at my grandparents home (we had to take 2 cars), they were wondering where on earth we were.. they had arrived about 1hr before us..!!

Uhhh.. this is turning into a long winded story. Sorry :P

So.. back to what I was saying. We arrived back in KL and then back to Muar, and back to KL again. We didn't spend as much time in Muar as in KL as it's a smaller place and there isn't all that much to do except sit around visiting most of the time. But I did enjoy visitng my relatives there. In KL, we had a great time going places and bonding with my cousins. We were really sad to leave and missed them terribly.

Nearing the end of this long winded journey, we left KL via bus and headed back to Singapore for departure. Man, we were so depressed! We were all teary eyed and this lady on the bus said.. why are you guys crying?? You're only going to Singapore!! Umm..

In Singapore, we visited a beautiful Orchid Garden and went to Santosa Island with my mom's best friend and her family. Santosa Island has the famous Merlion and a light/water show in the evening. I'm not sure what's there during the day though :P

Anyways, by the time we arrived in Toronto at my Uncle's place (who had kindly taken days off to take us where we wanted to go), all I wanted to do was shower and sleep.. and sleep...and sleep some more! I was exhausted. Come to think of it, we didn't really grasp the opportunity to do anything in TO. I guess after visiting HK and KL, we really didn't feel the need to shop or eat anymore.

Alright. Thats it for now about my exciting adventures. I could have gone on and on and on, but this IS the condensed version ..ok people?? :P

3 Comments:

At 3:33 p.m., Blogger slaw said...

You know what my first impression of malaysia was?? As the plane approach KLIA for landing, all I could see were trees, trees, and some more trees!! First thing came to mind was “OMG, is THIS malaysia?? This looks more like Africa (Congo)”. Hahahah...

 
At 7:35 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your parents are gone, does this mean you have to cook for your brother? :P

 
At 10:50 a.m., Blogger jaryee said...

The congo?? gah.. didn't you see any lights stella!?

ya.. i'm going to be his slave now .. *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home