Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Embarking on a Teacher Ed Journey

So I've had two days of classes. In general, my classes seem to be pretty good and the profs remind me a lot of some very mothering elementary school teachers (which is good). One thing that is starting to try my patience (already!) is "reflecting" about things like "why did you take this course?", "what is your major goal when it comes to teaching this subject?", etc. I don't really know how to pinpoint the answer to any of these questions, I just know that they are valuable courses and that I want to teach them to the best of my abilities. Anyways.. hopefully these questions don't keep surfacing after week 1.

I find myself surprised at times as well. My "teaching intermediate/junior math" prof's mother tongue is not English. I believe she comes from India but that's not really the point. Yesterday, during class, someone raised a question from the class outline (we didn't understand what the prof wanted). There was obviously a language barrier and what surprised me was the way the students ("Teacher Candidates") handled it. Instead of simplifying the language or trying another way around it, it seemed like they were shooting off different ways of asking her but NOT in plain english. Furthermore, they seemed to be very impatient and were also indirectly mocking her amoungst themselves. I felt really bad for the prof (she did start to get frustrated with them too after a while). I was also thinking to myself, if you people are going to have such an attitude over a situation like this, how do you expect to deal with students who can't speak a word of English - it happens you know! *Argh*! I absolutely hate it when people behave like this, it seems like a problem of superiority and respect.

Anyways... besides that, people in my classes seem to come from a huge range of experiences with children. So far, it seems that most of them haven't had TEACHING experience, just experiences dealing with children. I hope this gives me a leg up when it comes time to job hunt. The other thing that I'm really excited about is that I've heard mention (twice today) that there is a huge demand for teachers who are able to integrate technology into their classes. One of my profs said there is a huge "phenomenon" across Canada at the moment in terms of demand for technological savy teachers (as many teachers who are current in the system do not like to deal with technology). YAY! :D

I was reflecting on my way back from school this afternoon (lots of time to do that while walking back and forth from the bus stop to my apartment) that I feel different. Usually, when I'm in a situation where I don't know anyone and there are many many strangers around, I feel like hiding. This time around, I'm feeling more confident and have been able to meet quite a few people (I've actually got the courage to introduce myself!). I'm so proud of myself! (hehehhe.. I'm not trying to brag, ok? :P) I'm also really proud that I'm able to take the bus by myself..okokok, I know that sounds really elementary school-ish, but people, if you know my sense of direction ... you'd get what I'm talking about :P

Alright. That's all for now. Don't make fun of me!!! (you'll take the courage away).

CIAO
JY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home