Friday, September 02, 2005

Intense Schedule To Come

I had my first day of class/orientation yesterday and now I'm beginning to realize the workload that is coming. My schedule is really intense. We have class Monday - Wednesday (beginning at 8am, usually running to 4:30/5:30pm) with Thursdays and Fridays being spent student teaching. In addition to this, we're also suppose to attend these compulsory (or so they say) seminars & workshops that range from evenings to WEEKENDS! There are these things called Tribes (don't ask me.. I'm not really sure what they entail except that I think they are professional development workshops that are open to teacher candidates & teachers in Ottawa) that run for 3 days each (about 5-6 of them throughout the year). These are on Fridays (3:30-10:30pm), Saturday (8:30am-4:30pm) and Sunday (8:30am-4:30pm) *gasp*. To make matters worse, they are $130 each! I'm not sure I'm going to attend all of them, but I think it'd be a good experience and I'd learn a lot.. but.. the expense & the time (it'll mean there is no rest period for 2 weeks straight!). We have to take all of the "tribe" workshops in order to get a certificate and they are also suppose to be a really good time to network. Hmmm... what to do..! Besides Tribes, we've also got workshops on portfolio creating, resume writing, interview skills and other teacher related subjects. Man.. the schedule for extra workshops/seminars is 4 pages long!!

On the brighter note, I'm pretty impressed with the faculty so far (besides the late information given to us). The dean seems to be really friendly and very approachable and some of the profs are really hilarious (which makes them interesting teachers!). We have this class called "Reflection in Practice" which is sort of our "homeroom" because we are in the same class with the same people for the whole year. This class is to let us talk about our experiences in the classroom and to brainstorm new ideas of handling things as well as to explore specific topics (such as classroom diversity and equality). The people I've met so far (not very many because we haven't officially started classes and orientation consisted of us sitting through 2.5 hours of speeches) are so diverse and from all over. There are three Maritimers (including me) in my class. One from Nova Scotia, one from PEI and of course yours truly from New Brunswick.

I'm pretty settled in and am happy to report that I'm starting to figure out how this bus system works (its sort of confusing because you really need to know the routes and directions in order to make sure you get on the right bus!).... at least I know how to get to school and back without going to the airport ;). I'm also starting to recognize streets which is a good feeling. The downside to exploring is the money that is spent. Ahhh... so much to buy and so little money!! HEHEHEHEH

Anyways, thats all for now. I'm off to bed (sleep like a log these days). I'll try my best to post entries, but as you can tell.. the schedule is off the wall.

Good night! Happy Labour Day Weekend!! ^_~

5 Comments:

At 10:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the face of such an overwhelming tragedy, I hope it's pardonable...
In the face of such an overwhelming tragedy, I hope it's pardonable if I pass along some good news.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a work from home site. It pretty much covers work from home related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 12:18 p.m., Blogger Jordan said...

If you want to prevent automated spam comments such as the one immediately preceeding mine, then I suggest that you turn on word verification in your settings.

 
At 12:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:02 p.m., Blogger jaryee said...

wow.. hey Jordan found me (Through Travis I am assuming).
Thanks.. I'll look into this. BTW, add me to msn for pete's sake! :P

 
At 12:15 p.m., Blogger Jordan said...

BTW, change your msn status to anything other than (Away) for pete's sake! :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home