Friday, September 03, 2004

UNB blahs, blahs, and blahs somemore

Well, doesn't the title say it all? FRIG! UNB is driving me CRAZY. Enough to..say..NOT do any more courses after my last CS course! Q@#!@#)(*

Ok. Here's the story:
I went to register for my final CS course that I needed to complete my minor - guess what. After you graduate, you can't register for anymore courses without going through the registrar. Ring Ring, I call them up. Now folks, if you are doing a minor, listen up: apparantly, there's this rule saying that once you graduate, your credits are "closed". Therefore, even if I complete this last course, nothing would appear on my transcript saying that I have completed my minor. Do they want me to take the courses all over again!?!!?!??! Moving forward, they tell me: go see your business advisor re this matter.. ok.. what does the business advisor have to do with my CS minor?? I don't know, but I'll do as you say.

I make an appointment to see this hard to see advisor (plus, she gives inaccurate information, nice as she is as a person). She says: this isn't really in our control, you should go see the Dean of CS. OK..let's email the guy first. The Dean answers: talk to the assistant dean.. ok.. do we see a pattern here!? Next, the assistant dean is away 'til Aug 15th so his automatic email response says to go talk to the CS office if there's an urgent matter. I call them, they say: wait until the assistant dean is back, or go talk to the registrar. *rolls eyes*

Back to square one. I'm at the Registrar's office again, running from office to office trying to find someone who can answer my question. Finally, a lady says she will contact the Registrar for me and let me know. OK.. my minor is in your hands now lady.. in the meantime, I have to re-register to do a business degree, just so I can take another concentration.. *rolls eyes for the 2nd time*

Lucky for me, the lady emails me saying the Registrar said OK as long as the CS people are ok. So here I go, lets email this darn assistant dean again. Email him, he replies: I agree with the Dean, I believe you cannot receive your minor because you've already graduated. I email him asking him to read the email the registrar sent him (saying it in nicer words of course).. low and behold..guess what!?!? He DOESNT ANSWER ME! Email him again.. NO ANSWER. Finally, I'm fed up. I can't register for CS courses and I don't know if I can get my minor.

I call the registrar's office complaining. They insist, no, you CAN register for you course, try again. I do it. NOTHING. Finally, they tell me: "oh, the business faculty must have locked you out of the system..".. OMG. Does this ever end!?!?!? NO. Call the business advisor asking HER to contact the registrar. FINALLY, her secretary unblocks me.. YA!! I can register. Next problem: The Assistant Dean of CS.

I call him up. He says "oh yes, I remember you." He read my emails. After a lot of hmming and hooing.. he finally agreed. I hope *cross fingers* that he actually follows up on his promise and lets the registrar know he agrees to let me complete my minor.

Next problem: validating my ID. Apparantly they say I haven't paid tuition. WRONG. I have money sitting in my account.. good grief.. they haven't "processed it" yet. WHATEVER. Another problem: my stupid account won't let me register for winter term courses, so there's no way that the registrar's office will issue a letter to say that I'm going to be a student for the year. GIMME A BREAK!!!!

Thats all for now. How much more lucky can a person get with a fine instituition like UNB?? *rolls eyes and gags* good night.

1 Comments:

At 10:08 a.m., Blogger Keith said...

Hey JY,

That certainly sounds like the UNB I knew and loved. :) Unfortunately, it sounds a lot like many other institutions where it's their way or else. Though I do have to ask, why'd you graduate before taking all the courses you wanted to take?

Keith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home